Monday 14 May 2012

Jeff, Who Lives at Home

Okay so I admit I didn't really know what this film was about before I went into the screening, but judging by its title and its main star I assumed it would be your usual Jason Segel playing Jason Segel, as in the likes of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I Love You, Man.

What I got was a film about Jeff (played by Segel) and his older brother Pat (Ed Helms) finding themselves on a mission to first of all discover if Pat's wife Linda (Judy Greer) is cheating on him and then attempting to reunite the two. Meanwhile their mother (Susan Sarandon) spends a day at her work office receiving online messages from a secret admirer who turns out to be the last person she would have expected it to be. In the end the whole family unites and forgive each other for all their past mistakes.

Personally I found this film to be complete garbage. None of the characters were particularly likeable, especially Helms, and if I were his wife there is no way I'd be reconciling with him. The script was so pretentious and cheesy it made me uncomfortable just being in the cinema, and this was after coming straight from a showing of American Reunion.

This may have been an attempt by Segel to widen his CV when really he should just stick to what he does best, playing what seems to be himself.

Others may find this story warming and sweet but personally I just found it conceited and dull.

1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below: