Monday 7 May 2012

The Hunger Games



So I was a latecomer to the supposed triumph that is 'The Hunger Games'. Having never read the books, I had a vague idea of the 'Battle Royale with cheese' plot but really entered the cinema blissfully unaware of what I was about to encounter.

What I did encounter was an almost packed cinema (despite the film having been released several weeks ago) full of pre-teens and younger. In fact the middle-aged man sitting directly in front of me had a toddler balanced on his knee throughout the film - said child was however probably one of the best behaved in the screening.

So onto the film: The Hunger Games was not what I expected. I can't really be bothered detailing the plot which I'm sure most film fans are aware of, but personally I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the world which held such games. I was slightly zoned out at the beginning so may have missed this but for me the film lacked depth. I've heard many say that this is a film children will enjoy for the action and adults for the dark undertones, but personally The Hunger Games had neither. It had a good premise, but would have benefited from more emotional depth, more action and a greater sense of the regime these characters lived in.


3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below: