Monday 22 March 2010

THE BFI IMAX EXPERIENCE

So I recently had my first experience visiting London's BFI Imax, the biggest cinema screen in Britain. I went to see Tim Burton's new 'Alice in Wonderland' and literally managed to book myself the last ticket for the entire week of screenings. This however meant I was in the second row which was not so great as the screen was so huge it was a bit difficult to concentrate.

The ticket cost between £11-12 (for a student price) which to be fair is not too much more than you would pay for a standard central London cinema ticket even without it being in 3D.

Unfortunately I fell asleep for a short period of the film (though in my opinion it did not live up to expectations), and wish now I had gone to see Avatar as Alice was beautiful but was apparantly not made for 3D which just made it kind of blurry so if you are planning on seeing it you're probably best to do so in 2D.

Anyway, the adverts and trailers shown before the main feature seemed to be of a much higher standard than in any normal cinema, it actually made me want to go and see Toy Story 3 for example. The doors closed 10 minutes prior to the film beginning so if you were not in your seat before then you would not get in. There is a bar and cafe as well as all the usual food and drink available at cinemas so you can take alcohol into the screen as long as you ask for it in a plastic cup.

Unfortunately I found the seating rather uncomfortable which along with being seated in the second row spoiled the experience for me. If I had have booked further in advance I'm sure it would have been much more enjoyable, so for my personal experience I would give it 3/5.

1 comment:

  1. Same sort of experience with Alice here although had to work the premiere so we managed to sneak myself and Chris in for free. Definately a good film, well a beautiful film, but one i'm glad we didn't fork out for ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments below: