Sunday 15 April 2012

The Cabin in the Woods


So The Cabin in the Woods is the first horror I've ever chosen to see at the cinema...entirely due to its writer and producer Joss Whedon.

The plot focuses on five young friends who embark on a trip to a remote cabin in the woods where things begin to turn nasty. Meanwhile we learn there is a corporation behind these horrific events, and as their plan starts to go wrong we see the two groups brought together with dire consequences.

What should be known is that this is a genre film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Whedon and Drew Goddard are aware of the generic horror conventions, such as the five stereotypical youths - jock, fool, whore, sensitive guy and virgin - and exploit these conventions as a kind of commentary of the genre.

This works well and I think the plot is an original concept but for myself there was not enough explanation of what these lab guys were actually up to. The plot moved so fast that mishearing a single line of dialogue left me slightly confused. This also meant we don't get to know much about the characters...the quick succession of deaths was a bit of a let down.

However the script was smart and witty and there were a few moments of visual brilliance. It was also nice to see some Whedon alumni such as Fran Kranz, Amy Acker and Tom Lenk.

I would like to have enjoyed this more however the plot left me feeling unsatisfied.

3/5

1 comment:

  1. I definitely liked it, but for me it just wasn't scary or tense enough. I admire the idea, but the problem with its nature is that the set-up pretty much dilutes any chance of the horror element being effectual - and they definitely intend it to be as much a horror as it is a comedy which I reckon it only achieves half. Speaking of which, I nearly collapsed with laughter during the conclusion of the Japanese scenario - easily the funniest thing I've seen in a cinema this year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments below: