Sunday 15 January 2012

Aurora: Part 1

Here I am, beaten within an inch of my life, nothing around me or no one to help me. I am truly alone in the world. When it mattered my name was Ben, but now it doesn’t matter what my name is or where i come from, all the matter is that I am alone, beaten and facing death. I remember thinking it’s going to be horrible growing old, the feeling of being totally useless and nothing you could do about it. The idea of being powerless did make me scared. I mean, being so inadequate that controlling your own bladder was too much of a burden. I remember the simple days, working in Trinty X1 was the best time I ever had, before any of this happened.

Trinty X1 was an underground research center that I worked in, completing tests on the earth’s atmosphere but mainly the affects it had on the earth’s surface. I would spend most months under here with a team that ended up being my best friends. My wife and son stay down here with me, otherwise I would never see them, but they understand that my work is important.

I remember the day that everything changed, from the moment I woke up in bed beside my wife. I walked from my bedroom into the dining room area to see Paul was on the couch. Paul was an engineer in the station who was never happy in the place. He was an outdoors person, so be locked up underground was not something he dreamed for.

 “I thought you were working” I said
“I just finished” said Paul
I sat down next to Paul on the couch
 “Can’t sleep either?” I said
“Not one little bit” he said
“We only have the one week left in here but it feels like a life time” I said
“I am considering not coming back to this place” said Paul
“I don’t blame you buddy” I said

When I think back no it makes me angry, everything that concerned me on a daily basis. Money was the number one concern for most people, but I cannot even remember what a dollar bill looks like. Things like money, terrorism and disease seem pointless and funny now towards what I have seen.

Colm and Alan are eating breakfast in the kitchen. Colm was the systems engineer, and Alan was the IT technician. They were always seen together, mostly joking around because they were only needed if something was broken, which was very rare. They usually spent their time in the kitchen or dining room. The kitchen was very bland and plain, like a sample kitchen they have in show rooms. Everything was white and the chairs were tall with round seats that cupped your whole butt. Nothing in Trinty X1 was normal, not even the people.

“What are you going to do with your month off” said Colm

“I always have big plans but I just end up sleeping!” said Alan

At the moment Mary walked into the kitchen. She was old with a face that god himself would not be proud off. She served as the religious presence in the station. I protested the need for a religious presence but apparently they make people feel more comfortable. If god was real then what happened to all of us makes god a very sick person.


“Good morning boys” said Mary

“I wish it was better Mary” said Alan

“Don’t worry Alan, the lord will give you all the happiness you need” said Mary


Alan smiled at Mary, as Colm looked away while trying not to laugh. No one really took Mary serious because of her job, but no one made fun of Mary either because it would not be a good idea for anyone.

“Maybe me and god have a disagreement on how much happiness I should get” said Alan

“Nonsense Alan, he knows all” said Mary

Mary turns away and walks out of the kitchens while Alan and Colm are sitting at the kitchen table. Alan looks towards the door to check if Mary is gone,

“I wonder if god knows he is not real” said Alan

I was in his room, which resembles more of a living room with a bed. My wife Joan and son Jason who is ten years old are sitting on the bed. I was getting ready as I had to work a couple of hours.

“Dad do you have to work?” said Jason

“I will not be long son, I am only working for a couple of hours” I said

“Don’t worry Jason, you and I can wait for day” said Joan

“I will not be too long, I promise” I said

Just at the moment, I stood up from the bed and put on my work t shirt. There was an official uniform while working in the station, but no one sees us down here so I never bother. As I walked towards the door Paul came running into the room with a worried look on his face, as if someone just died.

“Ben, we have a problem in sector two” said Paul

“What’s the matter now Paul?” I said

“We just picked up readings from outside, on the heat sensors and they're extremely high!” said Paul

Ben looks at Joan and Jason with a look of uncertainty but enough confidence not to upset Jason. Joan however knew something was wrong.

“Don’t worry I will be back soon” I said

I and Paul rush down the corridor which is poorly lit and are a yellow colour which you would know was once white. We both arrive in sector two which is full of computers. Paul walks towards once specific computer that is in the middle of all the computers along the desk.

“What are we looking at here” I said

“This morning there was a peak in the degrees outside to unusual temperatures” said Paul

“Did you try Boone in Washington?” I said

“Well that is the main problem, we cannot get in contact with anyone” said Paul

“Use the satellites and get an image of outside” I said

“We cannot, everything is down, were paralyzed Ben. We do not even have the electricity so we had to switch to the backup generators” said Paul

Ben starts pacing back and forward in the room as Paul sits looking worried about the situation.

“It looks like we suffered a massive electromagnetic disruption” said Paul

“Well we have to go outside and see what the hell is going on!” I said

I and Paul leave sector two and head left down the corridor to the entrance of the station. We both climbed up a ladder into the top deck of the station which leads to the entrance of the Trinty X1. I put my hand on the door handle of the door which is a circle shape handle like you would find on a submarine. Suddenly I burned my hand on the door and fell to my knees. Paul ran over and examined my hand.

“You’re going to be fine, it’s still a pretty bad burn though” said Paul

“Let’s just go to the observation deck” I said

The observation deck is the best part of Trinty X1. It’s where a lot of people  come to relax for a couple of hours as it’s so relaxing looking out on the world after being kept away from it for so long. It is a lonely job but the observation desk is a much needed bonus to have. The room is a white empty room with just one long window on the walls like a big aquarium. I told Paul to hit the switch to open the cover from off the wall. The white panel cover slowly moves across the window revealing a brightly light sky. The view has so many colours and shooting stars. A massive storm is happening in the sky with most of the sky a bright green shade.

“Oh my god, what has happened” said Paul




James Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below: