Wednesday 29 February 2012

Review: "Big Miracle"



As my local Cineworld is re-hashing all the movies involved in the Oscars it was refreshing to watch some movies that weren't being touted for anything and are largely out the public eye, and while never ever going to be up for a any acting awards any time soon, I have to admit to thoroughly enjoying them both, particularly "Big Miracle". It's not often I see kid's movies as they are usually shown a lot earlier in the day, but I decided to make an exception and snap up two I had been wanting see for a while.
"Big Miracle" is a family-drama film that is based on the true story of several whales trapped in the northern Arctic ice, and the efforts of America (and latterly, the USSR) to free them. Foremost in this adventure is Drew Barrymore as 'Rachel Kramer', a Greenpeace activist doing all she can to bring attention and help to the stranded creatures. While the acting is average, the story is better than to be expected, with strong support from Ted Danson, Dermot Mulroney and John Krasinki, while I think Alaska is a fantastic setting for any movie. I like Drew Barrymore, so it was pleasing to see her on the big screen when her recent film forays have been few and far between (not including the uncredited cameo in Jack and Jill - something Al Pacino - and every other actor in the movie should have done). A nice touch was seeing the people that were being portrayed in the movie over the end credits. 7.5/10. Clean simple movie whose green heart shines through and puts a smile on all our faces by the time it's over. One of my personal favorites of the year so far (I love seeing the ones that so few people see, like last years brilliant "Get Low").

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below: